Increasingly, small to medium businesses are taking advantage of overseas sourcing and outsource manufacturing, and there are a number of reasons for this, with the chief reason among them being that it saves these companies 20-30% on their bottom line. It also frees their onsite staff to focus on other important aspects of the business, such as sales, marketing and research. No country has been reaping the benefits of this outsourced manufacturing phenomenon more so than China, since their industrial boom in the 1980s.
As a small to medium business owner or entrepreneur, there are considerable advantages by choosing to work with a Chinese sourcing consultant in order to minimize your risk and avoid the pitfalls typically associated with doing business overseas.
Here are some useful tips to follow when choosing a China sourcing consultant.
1. Look for a sourcing consultant that can provide a wide array of services and best cater to your business needs. This should include, but not be limited to handling quality control issues that might arise, factory vetting, qualification and management. Another important thing is also the sourcing consultant’s ability to circumvent cultural and language barriers, so look for a capable multi-lingual team with a proven track record. A good China sourcing consultant should be able to help you with all the things to do with your outsource manufacturing project in order to make your experience as hassle-free and seamless as possible.
2. Look for a keen ability in your China sourcing consultant to properly vet a factory and find out which one is the best fit for your needs. They will need to ensure that these factories are highly qualified and possess the expertise needed to deliver properly and are in full compliance when it comes to being fully committed in protecting your intellectual property rights as well as the rights of their employees.
3. Your China sourcing consultant should be an effective top-notched negotiator so that they will be able to negotiate for the best terms and deals for you.
4. Your consultant must be able to prevent any potential supply-line issues with the factories they select to conduct your overseas manufacturing, which includes conducting frequent and sometimes surprise quality control checks of the manufacturing facility.
5. Finally, they must ensure that your goods are processed correctly through the exporting, shipping and importation process.
At the end of the day, nothing beats the performing of your own due diligence when it comes to outsource manufacturing or overseas sourcing. While having a China sourcing consultant on your side can greatly reduce your learning curve, you should still conduct a thorough review and background check of any potential consultants or agents. Contact their previous clients, ask for references and most of all stay engaged in every step of the process!
For more information on how to set up your own outsource manufacturing and sourcing project, download our free E-book on the topic that will teach you everything you need to know to get started by signing up to our newsletter!